Ensuring your furnace is in good condition becomes a top priority to keep you warm and comfortable through winter. A well-maintained furnace can keep your home comfortable and cozy while reducing the likelihood of unexpected breakdowns.
The question is: how often should you have your furnace serviced?
We’ll explore the different factors that affect furnace maintenance schedules and provide recommendations to keep your furnace running smoothly.
Factors Affecting Furnace Maintenance Schedule
The frequency of furnace maintenance largely depends on various factors, such as:
- Age of the Furnace – Older furnaces tend to experience more wear and tear over time, which can result in a higher frequency of necessary care. Components in older furnaces become less efficient or more prone to breakdowns, making regular check-ups crucial to keep them running smoothly.
- Frequency of Use – Frequent use can accelerate wear on essential components. If you rely heavily on your furnace, especially during the colder months, it will likely require more regular maintenance and servicing to ensure its continued efficiency and reliability.
- Manufacturer’s Recommendations – Furnace manufacturers often provide specific maintenance recommendations based on the furnace model and its manufacturing year. These guidelines are designed to help you maintain the optimal performance and longevity of the unit. Following the manufacturer’s recommendations can ensure you keep up with the necessary maintenance tasks and schedule them appropriately.
- Indoor Air Quality – The quality of the indoor air can impact the maintenance needs of your furnace. Pollutants in the air can accumulate in the furnace’s components, affecting its efficiency and potentially causing issues that necessitate more regular servicing.
- Presence of Pets – Pets, particularly those with fur or feathers, can shed hair and dander that can be drawn into the furnace’s intake and filter system. This accumulation can lead to constant filter changes and affect other components.
Following the manufacturer’s recommendations for furnace maintenance is crucial to ensure that the furnace operates optimally.
Here are some common furnace manufacturers and their recommended maintenance schedules:
- Lennox – Lennox recommends annual maintenance for all of its furnaces.
- Trane – Trane recommends annual maintenance for its furnaces.
- Carrier – Carrier recommends annual maintenance for its furnaces.
- Goodman – Goodman recommends maintenance at least twice a year, including a professional tune-up and filter replacement.
- Rheem – Rheem recommends annual maintenance for its furnaces.
Based on the above factors, homeowners should have their furnaces maintained at least once a year. However, more frequent maintenance may be required if the furnace is older or often used.
Signs Your Furnace Needs Maintenance
Despite regular maintenance, furnaces may encounter problems from time to time. Here are some common signs that your furnace needs servicing:
- Unusual noises or smells
- Weak or uneven airflow
- Difficulty starting up or staying on
- High energy bills
- Inconsistent or insufficient heat
Benefits of Regular Furnace Maintenance
With regular furnace maintenance, Mississauga homeowners can reap the following benefits:
- Improved Energy Efficiency – A well-maintained furnace uses less energy to operate.
- Lower Energy Bills – Improved energy efficiency can lead to lower energy bills.
- Longer Lifespan of the Furnace – Regular maintenance can prolong the lifespan of the furnace.
- Reduced Need for Repairs – Regular maintenance can catch potential issues before they become major problems, reducing the likelihood of unexpected breakdowns.
- Improved Indoor Air Quality – A clean furnace and filter can improve indoor air quality and reduce allergies.
Maintaining your furnace is necessary if you want your furnace running safely and efficiently. Following the manufacturer’s recommendations and scheduling regular maintenance, you can keep your furnace in good condition and avoid unexpected breakdowns.
For all your furnace maintenance needs, count on Air Quality Dunrite. Our team of professionals can help keep your furnace running at optimal levels. We offer a range of services, including furnace repairs, tune-ups, and replacements. Call us at (416) 342-1939 to schedule an appointment, or visit our website to learn more about our services.